Monday, August 31, 2015

[List] Books That Made Me Cry

I've been called many things: a cold-hearted fish, an ice queen, and, well, other names that I can't say in mixed company. I'm not an emotional being, unless you count rage (I rage quite well). There aren't many books that have brought me to tears, but some do exist. These are those few.

Beware. This post is fraught with spoilers and unhappy emojis. (ノД`)・゜・。


The Kill Order - James Dashner 

The Kill Order follows lovable, dorky Mark as he fights to survive in a world devastated by sun flares and disease. Of course, I read the The Maze Runner trilogy before reading the prequel, so I essentially knew what was going to happen. But I kept hoping, praying, that Dashner would let Mark live.

I was in denial up until the last page when he died. But at least Mark finally got the girl, right? They died together so shouldn't I be happy? Shouldn't I?!

It was worse than when Thomas shot Newt.

Yeah, I said it.

I always liked Minho better anyway.
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Nazi Germany never is. I was tense throughout the entire novel, worried Max was going to be caught and killed, and when he was dragged off to the concentration camp . . . I was beside myself.

But he lived. (Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mr. Zusak)

It was everyone else's deaths that unexpectedly hit me hard, especially the neighbor boy, Rudy, who was in love with the main character. All he wanted was a kiss from her and the stingy little Saumensch wouldn't give him one until after he'd been blown up!

And the father's death . . . why?  ಥ_ಥ Just why?




Troy - Adele Geras

Obviously Trojans die like crazy in this book, but the death that bothered me most was Hector's son. I knew all along the two-year-old was going to die. How could he not? He's the heir.

But they didn't have to throw him from a fifty foot wall onto a bed of rocks, did they? DID THEY?


Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie - Jordan Sonnenblick

Watching the cutest most sweetest five-year-old boy go through cancer treatment. Need I say more?
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows - J.K. Rowling

*weary sigh*

Not only did she kill off a majority of her characters, but the fact that my favorite series, the one that got me hooked on reading, came to an end had me balling my face off.

(。•́-ก̀。)

Why couldn't it have gone on? Rowling doesn't need to have a life. We should all just lock her up in a cupboard under the stairs and demand she write Harry Potter forever. And ever.

Who will join me? ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨




Notice how the covers all have similar color schemes? Apparently orange is the color of death and despair. I think it's worse when you know someone is going to die, but you can't stop it. Then again, you're given time to prepare, to steel yourself. When the death comes out of nowhere, it doesn't seem as real. Like the author is playing some sick joke.

The next book I think will have me reaching for the tissues is The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, since the series is coming to an end. And I have a horrible suspicion that one of the boys (read: my book boyfriends) is going to die. I won't be able to handle it. If the cover comes out orange, I'm rioting.

What books have turned your face into a gooey mess? 

No comments:

Post a Comment