Monday, July 6, 2015

[Review] Broken World - Kate L. Mary

Title: Broken World
Author: Kate L. Mary
Genre: Horror
Published: July 2014
My Rating: N/A (Didn't finish)

Description (from Goodreads): When a deadly virus sweeps the country, Vivian Thomas sets out for California in hopes of seeing the daughter she gave up for adoption. Then her car breaks down and she's faced with a choice. Give up, or accept a ride from redneck brothers, Angus and Axl. Vivian knows the offer has more to do with her double D's than kindness, but she's prepared to do whatever it takes to reach her daughter.

The virus is spreading, and by the time the group makes it to California, most of the population has been wiped out. When the dead start coming back, Vivian and the others realize that no electricity or running water are the least of their concerns. Now Vivian has to figure out how to be a mother under the most frightening circumstances, cope with Angus’s aggressive mood swings, and sort out her growing attraction to his brooding younger brother, Axl.

While searching for a safe place to go, they pick up a pompous billionaire who may be the answer to all their problems. Trusting him means going into the middle of the Mojave Desert and possibly risking their lives, but with the streets overrun and nowhere else to turn, it seems he might be their only chance for survival.
 


My Review: I'll start by saying I got a free kindle version of this off of Amazon through BookBub. I'll also say I'm not a huge fan of zombie post-apocalyptic novels. There are so many of them out there and they all kind of seem alike, but I thought I'd give this a shot. I think it was the cover (and the fact that it was free) that drew me in. It's simple, but has a definite thriller vibe to it and no dorky zombies or blood and guts flying everywhere. Pretty desolate.

Because I haven't actually finished the novel, I can't do a complete review nor am I going to try and give it a rating. I'm just going to nitpick. 


The novel starts slow. Vivian has to pee really bad, so she pulls over and enters an unremarkable cliche diner. The only thing that catches my attention is the fact that they're living under martial law and have to carry papers around in order to travel.

The main character drives me nuts. She constantly judges the two men who picked her up as being rednecks and white trash. I understand that she's trying to get away from that kind of "trailer trash" lifestyle. She's had a hard life: Her mother ran off, her father beat her, she got pregnant and gave up her daughter, then became a stripper. I just wish that wasn't all she thought about. It feels like the author is bludgeoning us over the head with it. One of the men gives Vivian the creeps and this is shown over and over  and over again. Her stomach is incessantly turning and churning and heaving when he's around. I get it. He's gross. Please move on.

Vivian describes herself as having a pin-up body, which brought me out of the story because I wondered if she would really describe herself like that. Confidence is one thing, but it made me feel like she was full of herself. Even in the description of the novel, there is a reference to her big fake breasts. I never care for it when female characters describe their bodies like that. 

I will say the writing itself is pretty clean. It flows easily enough, but I wish the pace didn't crawl so much. The story could've started later on and we wouldn't have missed anything that couldn't have been shown later. 

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough tension to keep me interested. Because of that and the main character, I didn't want to continue reading.  

1 comment:

  1. You should keep reading...the pace picks up in a big way! The highest rated Post Apocalyptic series on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete