Monday, July 13, 2015

Book Riot YA - Box Two



So I "accidentally" forgot to unsubscribe from the Book Riot YA Quarterly. While I really enjoyed the last box I got, which had an amazing chalk coffee mug in it, I decided it was too expensive to continue. I've only read one out of about eight books they've sent me, and I gave one away since it was a romance and I had little interest in it. So I was surprised when Quarterly sent me an email saying they'd sent my package. 

Well. I just might have to "accidentally" forget again in another three months. Anyway, this box's theme is all about friendship and junk. 

What I Received: 


Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi: 

Corey, Holly, and Savitri are closer than family until a random act of violence shatters their world. A gunman shoots at their car, leaving Corey dead, Holly in a coma, and Savitri the sole witness to the crime. 

When Holy wakes up, she is changed--determined to hunt down Corey's killer, whatever the cost. Savitri fears that Holly is running wild, losing her grip on reality. Friends should stand by each other in times of crisis. But can you hold on too tight? Too long?

Part graphic novel! Should be a fun read. At least there's death. 

Everything Leads To You by Nina LaCour: 

Emi has been entrusted with her bother's Los Angeles apartment for the summer as a graduation gift, but she isn't sure how to fulfill his one condition: that something great take place there while he's gone. She may be a talented young production designer, already beginning to thrive in a competitive film industry, but she still feels like an average teen, floundering when it comes to romance. 

But when Emi and her friend Charlotte discover a mysterious letter at the estate sale of a Hollywood film legend, Emi finds herself chasing down the loose ends of a movie icon's hidden life. The search leads her to uncover a decades-old secret and the potential for something truly epic: love. 

Um, I'm a bit worried about this because it's essentially a lesbian romance. I don't have a problem with lesbian romances, but it's not exactly my type of reading material. However, one of the reasons I'm subscribed to these boxes is to get books I wouldn't normally read. So I will give it a whirl and, who knows, maybe I'll really enjoy it. Or maybe I'll loathe it completely and have something to rant about on my blog. 

A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith: 

It's senior year of high school, and Annabeth is ready--ready for everything she and her best friend, Noe, have been planning and dreaming. But there are some things Annabeth isn't prepared for, like the constant presence of Noe's new boyfriend. Like how her relationship with her mom is wearing and fraying. And like the way the secret she's been keeping hidden deep inside her for years has started clawing at her insides, making it harder to eat or even breathe. 

But most especially, she isn't prepared to lose Noe. 

For years, Noe has anchored Annabeth and set their joint path. Now Noe is drifting in another direction, making new plans and dreams that don't involve Annabeth. Without Noe's constant companionship, Annabeth's world beings to crumble. But as a chain of events pulls Annabeth further and further away from Noe, she finds herself closer and closer to discovering who she's really meant to be--with her best friend or without. 

Don't have much to comment on here, sounds pretty boring. I'm hoping for explosions of some kind. And I don't mean the hormonal ones. 

WithIt Book Light - Who doesn't need a book light? Much excite. 

Knot & Bow Library Cards - Too. Freaking. Cute.  

Three books is a good haul. I'm not sure if I'll subscribe to the next box or not if they're going to insist on giving us literary fiction. But I always feel like I'm going to miss out on a really good box, so I stay subscribed. *sigh* It's an addiction. 

Are you a subscriber? Are these books something you'd read?

No comments:

Post a Comment