Thursday, December 11, 2014

Book Riot Box Five

So since I found a job, I figured I'd indulge myself and subscribe again to Book Riot's Quarterly. I've only done this once before and was pretty pleased with the goodies I got, though I ended up giving the romance novel to my grandma. My TBR bookshelves are too big for me to read stuff I'm not particularly interested in. 

For this box, they chose books that tell familiar stories from new angles.


Books I Got:


Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi - NOT to be confused with the Fantastic Mr. Fox (as I did). Here's the Goodreads description: What makes a marriage? Is it the end of fairytale romance? It might be if your husband is the writer Mr Fox, who does devilish things to the heroines of his stories. His wife is unable to change his ways, but when his imaginary muse, Mary Foxe conjures herself one sunny afternoon and confronts him, things take an unexpected turn.

Also came with a brief essay article thingy from the author (on the left in the picture). Usually Book Riot sends out a poster of some sort. I guess this counts? 

Ms. Marvel: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson - A comic book. I'm not a huge fan, since I prefer words over pictures, but the premise seems interesting enough--Pakistani Muslim girl living in New Jersey becomes a superhero. I like the diversity. Should be a good read. Brief, but good. It comes with a note from the author too. 

I Also Received:


-A hat. I do live in Minnesota and need to keep mah ears toasty warm, but I don't think I'd wear it further than my backyard. When I showed it to my mom, she shook her head and muttered, "I know I didn't drop you on your head when you were a baby."

She says that a lot.

-Literary Tattoos. Cute, but I probably won't use. 

-Shakespeare candy. In case you've ever wondered, Shakespeare tastes like lemons.

-A coupon for 20% off handmade iPhone chargers. I think, like, ten people received these. I can shove an iPod cord into a book myself (which I wouldn't do because that's book abuse). I don't need to pay 50 bucks for that. I'm not too disappointed I didn't get one.  

I do love the anticipation of getting these. Constantly checking the mail to see if it came, suppressing the urge to stalk twitter to see if other people got theirs. However, I can't say I'm terribly excited about what I got. I was a lot happier with the previous box because there seemed to be more stuff. Granted, I did get a bonus book, but it still totaled four books. This one only has one and a half. Not even. Maybe one and a quarter. *grumbles* Comic books...

Moar books, Book Riot. Moar books!

The next box ships in March, so I'll have until then to decide if I'm just wasting my money.

Is anyone else a subscriber? 


No comments:

Post a Comment