Thursday, January 24, 2013

[Review] The Maze Runner - James Dashner

Author: James Dashner
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Published: 2009
Rating: ★★★★★

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is empty. 


But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls. 

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as anyone can remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, for just as long, they've closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the Maze after dark. 

The Gladers were expecting Thomas's arrival. But the next day, a girl is sent up--the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. The Gladers have always been convinced that if they can solve the maze that surrounds the Glade, they might find their way home . . . wherever that may be. But it's looking more and more as if the Maze is unsolvable. 

And something about the girl's arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he might have some answers--if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.

The Maze Runner has been sitting on my bookshelf for the past few months and I'm disappointed in myself for taking so long to read it. It was absolutely amazing. The tension is thick from beginning to end. I couldn't put it down and ended up staying up until 3:30 two nights in a row reading it (even though I was supposed to be getting my sleep schedule back in order for school). 

Thomas is a great MC. He's smart, brave, and willing to sacrifice himself for everyone else. I think my favorite character other than Thomas is Minho (big shock that I would like the Korean boy, right?). I like his attitude and throughout the book I was desperately hoping he wouldn't die. Everyone else could die. Just not him. 

Though I'm giddy to read the next book, The Scorch Trials, I'm scared of who's going to die next. Minho (and Newt, I suppose) better stay alive! 

Can't wait until they turn it into a movie. 

What did you think of the novel? Oh, and if you haven't read it yet, READ IT! щ(ಠ益ಠщ)


6 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this book for a while, but saw that its reviews weren't all that great on Amazon (they have gone up a little though). I might give it a shot.

    Wow, Joey. You're reading book's like A BEAST!!!!!!!!!! I see the "What I'm reading section" change every few day's.
    I just finished Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief and am honestly at a loss at all it's great reviews. It's a "meh" in my opinion. No good characters and boring story. My sister, however, told me that The Lost Heroes is ten times better, so I'm going to keep on reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend reading the Maze Runner. I really liked it.


    I'm actually stuck on this book Dawnthief. It's really boring, I'm only on the fifth chapter, and I just want it to END. Oh, I loved The Lightning Thief. I thought it was a great series, though I'm having a lot of trouble remembering what happened. I can just remember bits and pieces. I will agree that The Lost Heroes is really good, perhaps even better. Definitely a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~o.o I haven`t heard of this book before! The characters sound awesome! I`ll probably check it out once i`m done with 1Q84... Is it gonna be a movie soon? I better read it before that happens, or not I`ll never read it and end up just watching the movie!

    ~Yeah, YA`s are pretty safe =) Although it can get weird when a character falls in love and I`ll have to read about how perfect the other character is >.<

    ~I do like bizarre stories, and short stories too! But I`ve gotten so many other books waiting for me to read them, it may take a while before I read short stories again.

    ~Yeah, 1Q84 is pretty slow, but it also gives you lots of issues and topics to ponder on. I`m more of an adventure reader, though. I find slow books very annoying at times >_< If you like adventure books, I suggest The Edge Chronicles! It`s awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I already ordered a copy of The Sea of Monsters, so we'll see what happens. It might get better.


    Joey, you should post a blog post with your all time favorite novels. That's what I plan to do once I start a blog (If ever, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure when the movie is coming out. Right now I can only find articles on who's going to direct it. I'm just hoping they cast it right.

    That's why I typically try to steer away from YA that has any sort of romance in it. They just obsess about their love interest, and the plot has little to do with anything else.



    I'll look into the series. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely start a blog. I was debating on what to post for tomorrow, so I might just do that. :D

    ReplyDelete