Tuesday, January 29, 2013

[List] All-Time Favorite Novels (So Far)

This is a list of my absolute favorite novels (in no particular order). These are the books I stayed up all hours of the night reading; the books I think back on fondly years after I've read. They're the ones that make me feel all fuzzy inside. And I wish, wish, wish these worlds truly existed.

A great few of these coincide with a previous list I made: Ten Books I Want On The Big Screen 

It was really hard narrowing these down to ten . . .


Artemis Fowl Series - Eoin Colfer 

From a strikingly original new voice in fiction comes the story of Artemis Fowl, a very unusual hero. Artemis combines the astuteness of Sherlock Holmes with the sangfroid of James Bond and the attitude of Attila the Hun. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories. These fairies are armed and they're dangerous. Artemis thinks he's got them just where he wants them, but then they stop playing by the rules. . . .

Artemis Fowl is such a great character. He's an evil genius with an attitude. And he's Irish, which makes him ten times cooler (Irish pride!).

I have yet to read the last two books. I own them, but I decided I wanted to reread the entire series before I finished it. SO NO SPOILERS PLEASE! Or I keeeel you!

Pendragon Series - D.J MacHale 

Bobby Pendragon is a seemingly normal fourteen-year-old boy. He has a family, a home, and even Marley, his beloved dog. But there is something very special about Bobby.

He is going to save the world.

And not just Earth as we know it. Bobby is slowly starting to realize that life in the cosmos isn't quite what he thought it was. And before he can object, he is swept off to an alternate dimension known as Denduron, a territory inhabited by strange beings, ruled by a magical tyrant, and plagued by dangerous revolution.

If Bobby wants to see his family again, he's going to have to accept his role as savior, and accept it wholeheartedly. Because, as he is about to discover, Denduron is only the beginning . . .


I started reading this series in eighth grade and each year, until the last of the ten books came out in 2009, I waited anxiously for the next to come out. Also, the main characters in this book inspired the three MCs in my WIP The Kingdom's Champion. 


Alex Rider Series - Anthony Horowitz 

They told him his uncle died in a car accident. Fourteen-year-old Alex knows that's a lie, and the bullet holes in his uncle's windshield confirm his suspicions. But nothing prepares him for the news that the uncle he always thought he knew was really a spy for MI6--Britain's top secret intelligence agency. Recruited to find his uncle's killers and complete his final mission, Alex suddenly finds himself caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse. 

 The action in these books is phenomenal. Once I start reading them, I can't put them down. 

I actually haven't finished the series. I own the last book (I own a lot of books I haven't read. I'm an addict), but have been slacking on finishing it. I just don't want it to end! SO NO SPOILERS! 

The only problem I have with this series is that all the missions take place within a year. I was fourteen when I started reading these books, now I'm twenty-two finishing them, and Alex is still fourteen, goddammit! I feel old.

Everworld Series - K.A. Applegate

David's life was pretty normal. School. Friends. Girlfriend. Actually, Senna was probably the oddest aspect of his life. She was beautiful. Smart. But there was something very different about her. Something strange.

Then one day it began. One moment, Senna was with him. The next, she was swallowed up by the earth. David couldn't just let her go and neither could their friends. So David, April, Jalil, and Christopher followed Senna to a world they never could have imagined. Wolves the size of elephants, beings who consider themselves immortal, mythological gods.

Now the four friends have to find Senna and get home without losing their lives. Or their minds. Or both . . .


Ahhh! This series has everything. Norse, Greek, Aztec, and Egyptian mythology, Arthurian legend, dragons, aliens. Everything. The characters bounce back and forth between Earth and Everworld. So when they're not fighting off mythical creatures, they're dealing with real life problems teenagers face.

This series is amazing and I don't understand why it's no longer in print. And why it hasn't been made into a movie. 

New Moon - Midori Snyder 

Two hundred years ago, the Fire Queen destroyed her rival queens of Earth, Air, and Water in the fateful Burning and took power over the land. No child with a trace of the elemental magic was allowed to live. Years later, the country of Oran still trembles under her oppression. There is unrest in the city--and, for the first time in decades, rumors of hope. They say that four young women bearing the ancient magic escaped--four who have the powers of Earth, Fire, Water, and Air--and are even now finding one another.

These four have allies. A ragtag army of artists and singers, orphans and vagrants, thieves and knife-wielders, is stealing into the city. Their sign is scrawled on the tavern walls: the bloodred, blade-thin New Moon . . .

This was one of the first "serious" YA books I read. There's a lot of mature themes in it, and I was a bit shocked at the time. But it was an awesome read, and anyone who likes books that deal with controlling the elements should read this. There's also a lot of strong female characters. 

The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke

Welcome to the magical underworld of Venice, Italy. Here, hidden canals and crumbling rooftops shelter runaways and children with incredible secrets....

After escaping from their cruel aunt and uncle, orphans Prosper and Bo meet a mysterious boy who calls himself the "Thief Lord." Clever and charming, the Thief Lord leads a band of street children who enjoy making mischief. But the Thief Lord also has a dark secret. And suddenly Proper and Bo find themselves on a fantastical journey to a forgotten place. What they discover there will change the course of their destiny. 

After reading this book, I so badly wanted to learn Italian. And also become a runaway. I still might do both.
Holes - Louis Sachar 

Stanley Yelnats's family has a history of bad luck, so he isn't too surprised when a miscarriage of justice sends him to a boys' juvenile detention center, Camp Green Lake. There is no lake--it has been dry for over a hundred years--and it's hardly a camp: as punishment, the boys must each dig a hole a day, five feet deep, five feet across, in the hard earth of the dried-up lake bed. The warden claims that his pointless labor builds character, but that's a lie. Stanley must try to dig up the truth. 

My first experience with this book was when my fourth grade teacher read it to us. I usually never listened to teachers when they read out loud. I could never pay attention. Still can't. But when my teacher read this book, I was completely enthralled. I have yet to read the sequel. I didn't even know Sachar had written one until recently.

Makes me want to go out in the backyard and dig holes. :B

The Legend of Drizzt Series - R.A. Salvatore 

Drow ranger Drizzt Do’Urden, first introduced in The Icewind Dale trilogy, quickly became one of the fantasy genre’s standout characters. Homeland first reveals the startling tale of how this one lone drow walked out of the shadowy depths of the Underdark, leaving behind a society of evil and a family who want him dead. It is here that the story of this amazing dark elf truly began.

Drizzt is by far one of my favorite heroes. He's a dark elf who happens to be good, and there are few who can match his skill with a blade, although the assassin Artemis Entreri, one of my favorite villains, gives Drizzt a run for his money. 

Funny, this is the only adult book on my list. So far, there are twenty-three books in the series. Right now I'm on book nineteen and I hope Salvatore never stops writing them!

The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis 

Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist its ruler, the golden lion Aslan, to triumph over the White Witch, who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

My mom fell in love with this book when she was young, and she tried to get me to read it when I was little. Usually when people try to impose something upon me, I tend to resist. So I didn't read this for many years. Finally, when I was in middle school, or late elementary, I can't remember, I read The Magician's Nephew. Loved it. Then I read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe, which I loved even more.  And the movie is also a favorite of mine. I think they did an excellent job with it.
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling 

Okay, I don't think I need to include a description for this one. If you don't know what it's about, or haven't read it, then I am absolutely flabbergasted and you need to go out and get a copy of it. Right now.

I remember in 5th grade I was invited to go along on a field trip to some sort of Harry Potter . . . thing--I don't remember what it was. I didn't care enough at the time. I declined because I had in my mind that Harry Potter was lame and stupid and I wanted nothing to do with it (I really had no idea what it was about even). Then my friend dragged me to see the movie when it came out.

Well. Let me tell you she created a monster that day. Once I saw the movie, I had to read the book. And that's what really sparked my love for reading.

So hands down, Harry Potter is my favorite series of all time. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I finished the last novel and saw the last movie. I don't think any other book will surpass my love for Harry Potter.

Curious: Does anyone else go to the bookstore, pick up a hardcover copy of The Sorcerer's Stone, and stroke it? Or is that just me?

What books make you feel all fuzzy and warm inside? 

8 comments:

  1. ~Yeah! Books with young characters do that! (They make us feel old ._.) OMG ARTEMIS FOWL!!!! That book helped me make friends with a girl who read the same book when I was in school! And I love all the stories from Narnia!! I have Homeland collecting dust in my cupboard, think I`ll read it tonight thanks to your review ^^



    ~Also, you have been nominated for the Libster Award!! ^^ Here`s the link for more details :
    http://riverstardust.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad I could get you to read one of the books. Makes doing the post worthwhile.

    Thank you for nominating me! I think I'll have to decline though. I was nominated a few months ago and I had to cheat because I didn't have eleven people to pass it on to. And I still don't. Haha. Sad, I know. But thanks so much for including me! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~just started Homeland *silently hides 1Q84 under the bed.... It can wait* and it`s pretty good ^^


    ~Aww, it`s ok! Lol I don`t have 11 people to nominate too.... *feels bad and crawls under table with Homeland*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, see I can never do that with books. I always have to finish them before I start another book, otherwise I never go back to them. I'm weird like that. But I'm glad to hear you're liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EVERWORLD!!!! Yes. I love that series. I read it when I was in high school. I always thought it would have made a great TV mini-series, but I guess I'm the only. LOL.


    NEW MOON-A book of element control. Who would write something so clique? LOL, Just kidding. I never heard about this one, but I'll have to give it a read.


    I don't stroke Harry Potter book's, but I do have this weird thing where I have (and I do mean HAVE) to smell books. Maybe it's an OCD. I cant grab a book without flipping the pages and smelling it. Sometimes I don't even realize i'm doing it until someomes asks me what the heck i'm doing. All my friends think I'm a weirdo, but it ok. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would make a great mini-series...though, I'm not usually a big fan of those because the effects are never up to par. Nor is the acting. I would prefer if they were turned into movies, but it would be hard since there are twelve books. Though they could always combine them.


    I do love the smell of books. I wish someone would come up with a candle that smells like a bookstore. It would be the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it cheating to list a whole series? Speaking of...I'm reading The Last Apprentice series right now and having loads of fun. Maybe too much fun. Not sure if they would make the top ten but definitely in the running--as are:

    Heroes of Olympus series, Lord of the Flies (I'm just twisted that way), Ender's Game, and all of Harry Potter. Oh who am I kidding, Harry Potter makes up the first seven spots :).

    Squirrel-The boy on the cover of the Pendragon book reminds me of my son (only thing, my son has some freckles and his eyes are sort of amber-brown). That alone makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard not to include series in the list. I'm usually not a big fan of stand-alones.


    I have yet to read Lord of the Flies. It's one of those classics that I'm going to have to read some day. Ender's Game is pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to the movie. Harrison Ford's going to be in it, so it'll be fabulous. Hopefully. I just finished The Son of Neptune. I liked it even better than The Lost Hero because it had Percy in it.


    READ IT! I love it. Especially the first three books. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete