Thursday, January 17, 2013

[Anime Review] Reborn!


Japanese Title: 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! (Katteikyoo Hittoman Reborn!) 
US Title: Reborn!
Episodes: 203
Category: Shōnen
Aired: 2006-2010 Stream for free here at crunchyroll.
Rating: ★★★★

Description: Junior High School student Sawada Tsunayoshi fails at school, sports, and socializing, especially with his crush, Kyoko. That is, until a talking baby called Reborn enters his life. Reborn claims to be an Italian mafia hitman who works for the Vongola family, and it's his job to prepare the reluctant Tsuna into become the family's next boss.

Let the spoilers ensue.

What I liked: 

  • The plot of each arc is actually pretty good. Especially the last few arcs, which were epic! I loved the interaction between the First and Tenth Generation Vongola family. Pretty awesome.  
  • There's not a lot of filler. There's a few episodes that are like, what the heck were they thinking when they made it, but, compared to a lot of other anime I've watched (Bleach, Naruto), where there is just episodes and episodes of crap, the amount of filler is almost nonexistent.   
  • Lots of action! Of course. I wouldn't watch it if there wasn't. 
  • There was a huge cast and each of the characters had a distinct personality. 
  • Pretty freakin' hilarious. Even during tense episodes, I found myself LOLing. 

What I disliked:

  • There's a lot of recap. It's nice when I take a break between watching episodes, but it's irritating when I'm watching them back to back.  
  • The skits that come after the end credits are kind of lame. I didn't watch all of them, but from what I saw, they were just kind of meh. A lot of them were hosted by the character Haru, who I hate. 
  • The girls are incredibly weak. All are pretty much placed in a domestic setting. They do the cooking and cleaning for the guys and watch the children. They're very passive, naive, and soft-spoken. They're kept in the dark most of the time and don't actually know what's truly going on. Chrome, who is one of the family's guardians, actually derives her power from a guy, so she's pretty useless. The only girls with any power are usually the bad guys, and even they aren't all that great. 
  • There should have been more blood. Ψ(`▽´)Ψ
  • I sincerely wished that the Arcobaleno would have reverted to their adult forms. Or, at least, I wish Tsuna had met adult Reborn at least once. That would have been awesome. 

My Favorite Characters: 

This was a hard list to make because there was an awesome cast. I'm only going to pick three.

 Lambo (ランボ)

Even though he's only five, Lambo is the 10th Generation Vongola Lightning Guardian. He claims that he's the best hitman in the world and tries to kill Reborn every chance he gets, but Reborn just ignores him. His "ten year bazooka" allows him to trade places with his fifteen year old self for five minutes. He also has an arsenal of grenades and candy stashed in his hair.

I thought it was pretty cool that his voice actor also does Naruto's voice.
Reborn (リボーン)

How can you not like Reborn? He carries the show. Even with his baby voice, he sounds tough. Reborn seems to know everything that happens before it does. He can be serious, and then completely silly, but he always plays it cool.

And adult Reborn is super badass.
Hibari Kyoya (雲雀恭弥) (I just realized the first kanji in his last name means cloud.)

Hibari is the 10th Generation Vongola Cloud Guardian and the Disciplinary Committee Leader at Namimori Middle (his school is the only thing he cares about). He's the strongest of the guardians, but he doesn't associate himself with the family. He appears callous, aloof, and seldom speaks. When he does, he's usually threatening to bite someone to death.

Adorable!





My Least Favorite Characters: 


Gokudera Hayato (獄寺隼人)

Gokudera is the 10th Generation Vongola Storm Guardian and Tsuna's right hand man. You know, I really liked him at first. He was one of my favorites. And then he just kind of got super obnoxious. I don't hate him; I just wish he wasn't so hot-tempered and didn't always yell.
Irie Shoichi (入江正一)

Shoichi is one of the techies for the Vongola family. He was okay when he acted like a bad guy, but once he turned out to be good, he got super whiny and annoying.











Miura Haru (三浦ハル)

Why was she even in the show? She did absolutely nothing besides bug the hell out of me.

She was too energetic and her voice grated on my nerves.

. . . freaking crackhead.








Overall, the anime is worth watching if you have the time to commit to it. It took me a long time to finish, mostly because I would lose interest and watch something else. However! I just spent the past few weeks catching up on it, and now that I'm finished with it, I'm sad it ended.

 Have you watched the anime/ read the manga?

3 comments:

  1. Me thirty seconds ago: "Hmmm, wonder what's going on over at [Insert Title]? Guess I'll pop on over. Oh, a list of favorite novels? Intriguing."


    Me fifteen seconds ago: "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth! IS THAT REBORN? LEMME IN!"


    If I had to point to one of the most underrated shonen franchises, it'd be this one. It's chock-full of ideas and concepts I can't help but applaud; I like how Tsuna's skill set doesn't start out with a special offensive move, like a Kamehameha or a Rasengan, but defensive moves that can turn the tide. Interesting stuff, indeed.


    And say what you will about Gokudera, but I have to say that out of the main cast, his fighting style is one of my favorites. Dynamite and rockets all day EVERY DAY!


    And that soundtrack. Mmmmm-MMMM! That's some good music! I need to head over to YouTube now before I fanboy my way to an early grave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!" --I'll have to remember that.


    It is pretty underrated. I didn't even know about it until I happened upon the title at crunchyroll.


    I probably shouldn't have listed Gokudera under character's I didn't like. His constant yelling just got on my nerves. But I agree, his fighting style was pretty cool. And I liked his cat, Uri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crunchyroll, huh? Hmmm...well, I'm glad that it's up there, but I still wish it had a bit more exposure. Eh, can't be helped, I guess. Some people just can't handle the awesome power of transforming woolly mittens or baby hitmen.

    Also, if you like the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, I should mention that it's one of Marvel superhero Doctor Strange's lines -- which, admittedly, I wouldn't have known about if not for his appearance in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Same goes for his "Seven Rings of Raggadorr". Something about his voice and his lines in that game is just so hilariously awesome...

    ReplyDelete