Wednesday, December 26, 2012

[Review] Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy
Published: October 28th 1998
Rating: ★★★

Young Tristan Thorn will do anything to win the cold heart of beautiful Victoria--even bring her the star they watch as it falls from the night sky. But to do so, he must enter the unexplored lands on the other side of the ancient barrier that borders their tiny village. And beyond the safety of the Wall, strange things can happen to a determined lad chasing his heart's desire into a magical world of wonders and perils--where anything that can be imagined can be found. 

The beginning is pretty slow. The author starts with a lengthy description of the village the main character is from, and I'm not one for paragraphs of description. I need action to keep my attention, so, at times, the novel kind of drags on. Also, I guess I was thinking there would be a more innocent tone to the novel, so I was thoroughly shocked when I came across the first sex scene. It wasn't terribly graphic, but I could have done with out (like with all sex scenes).

The main character, Tristran Throrn, bothered me with his pathetic lovesick self. But I suppose there wouldn't have been much of  a story if he hadn't been so stupid. Men who do anything for the woman they love are definitely not attractive. Grow a spine, man!

The ending was a bit disappointing as well. [Spoiler Alert] I was assuming there would be this huge battle with the witch, as there was in the movie, but the star and her just end up talking. I mean, it works. It's just a bit anti-climactic. I also kind of dislike it when the author describes the rest of the main character's life. I don't like seeing the main character's grow old and die. That's no fun!

It's been a while since I seen the movie, but if I remember it correctly, I think I liked it fairly well. It was pretty funny. I would even go so far as to say I liked it better than the book, though I would have to watch it again to confirm it.

Overall, a pleasant read. Definitely liked the fairy-tale aspects to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment