Thursday, December 6, 2012

[Review] Pathfinder - Orson Scott Card

Author: Orson Scott Card
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Published: 2010
Pages: 662, hardcover 
Rating: ★★★★

Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg's strange talent for seeing the paths of people's paths. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg's own past, his identity  and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has the power not only to see the past, but also to change it, his future suddenly becomes anything but certain. 

Rigg's birthright sets him on a path that leaves him caught between two factions, one that wants him crowned and one that wants him dead. He will be forced to question everything he thinks he knows, choose who to trust, and push the limits of his talent . . . or forfeit control of his destiny. 

At first, I thought this was going to be a work of fantasy, which surprised me since Card is primarily a SF writer. We're first introduced to Rigg, who comes from a low technology environment and has seemingly magical abilities to follow people's paths. So I was completely taken off guard after we are introduced to Ram, who is a pilot aboard a spacecraft full of colonists looking for a planet to live after Earth is devastated by a comet hitting the moon. Each chapter begins with a snippet of Ram's story and then proceeds to Rigg's and his friend's tale. It's an excellent juxtaposition of the past and present. 

I love the main character Rigg. He's smart, witty, and totally in control. He reminds me a bit of Artemis Fowl at times, only less evil. I only wish we had been given a clearer description of what he looks like. Perhaps I missed it or forgot, but I don't think Card went into depth with any of the character's descriptions. But, anyway, the characters are all lovable and the banter between them cracked me up. 

Rather than ignoring the time travel paradox, Card embraced it. I have to admit, I none too smart, so the whole time traveling thing just hurt my brain a lot, but it's definitely an intriguing plot and I can't wait to read the next in the series, Ruins. Fans of Ender's Game will enjoy this. I certainly did. Speaking of Ender's Game, who's excited for the movie?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment