Monday, October 15, 2012

Top Ten Anime Characters - Males

So some of you might have noticed I'm a Japanese major. I fell in love with learning languages when I first took French in middle school and then German in high school. I decided to pursue Japanese because I wanted to learn an Asian language and it seemed the easiest to pronounce. I also love the culture, including anime, which I watch quite a bit (my way of studying for class). In the future, I plan on featuring an anime review once I've completed a show. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in reading them, but I think they would be fun to write. 

Here, in no particular order, is a list of my top ten male anime characters. This was hard to make because there are a ton of characters that I adore. And, yes, I am a complete geek for doing this. d(≧▽≦)b


Kurosaki Ichigo (黒崎一護) from Bleach (ブリーチ)

I have a special loyalty to Bleach. It was the first Japanese anime I ever watched, and is really what got me hooked. 


Why he's awesome: First of all, he's a substitute shinigami (god of death) with a kick-ass sword. He's super determined. Even when he has, like, a billion swords sticking out of him, he won't back down. He goes out of his way to protect everyone. Even his enemies. He's noble, courageous, and super strong. And his Hollow powers are wicked cool! 



Uzumaki Naruto (うずまきナルト)from Naruto (ナルト)

Why he's awesome: He's a teenage shinobi with a nine-tailed fox inside of him. The fox gives him an incredible amount of power that he has to control lest it destroy him. Naruto isn't the smartest, but he's the bravest. Like Ichigo, he'll never give up. He's also a goofball, and he messes up a lot, but that just makes him more lovable. 


L (エル)from Death Note (デスノート)

Why he's awesome: L is pretty quirky. From the way he talks, to the way he sits or holds a phone, his character is distinct. He's also a genius and is the only person who can thwart the bad guy, KiraAnd he shares my obsession with candy. Spoiler Alert: When they killed him off, I literally balled my face off.. And I never cry! Also, the show kinda sucked afterward...


Death the Kid (デス・ザ・キッド)from Soul Eater (ソウルイーター)

Why he's awesome: He has major OCD. Everything must be symmetrical and he will correct anything that isn't (except his hair apparently). A rampaging monster could be chasing after him and his main concern is whether everything is symmetrical. He's also the son of the Grim Reaper, gets around on a skateboard, and his weapons of choice are two guns, which he shoots upside down using his pinkies. Subarashii! 


Ootori Kyouya (鳳鏡夜) from Ouran High School Host Club 桜蘭高校ホスト部)
Not. To. Be. Messed. With.

Why he's awesome: He's cold, calculating, knowledgeable, and scheming. A lot of the time he comes off as a bad guy, but he's really not. He's basically the one who runs the host club and gives the main character a lot of crap. There's one scene that really made him stand out. If you're a fan of the show and a girl, you might know what I'm talking about. He's also played by Daito Shunsuke in the live action version: 

(。♥‿♥。)


Hei (黒)from Darker than Black (黒の契約者)

Why he's awesome: He has a double persona. When he acts like a civilian, he's goes by the name of Lee and pretends to be a friendly Chinese exchange student. When he is doing his job as a contractor (basically an assassin), he's cold and rational. Despite that, he can still express compassion and sorrow from time to time. Though I like him better when he's cold-hearted. 


Aang from The Last Airbender

So The Last Airbender is an American cartoon rather than a Japanese anime. But it happens to be my most favoritest show ever, so I decided to include it. At any rate, the style of the cartoon is reminiscent of Japanese anime.

Why he's awesome: Just look at him. 'Nuff said. 

Zero Kiryu (錐生 零) from Vampire Knight (ヴァンパイア騎士)

Why he's awesome: He's a Vampire Hunter who ends up being turned into a vampire. He can seem pretty cold and hostile, but he's actually kind of gentle (I don't know why I'm drawn to these types of characters).


Sebastian Michaelis セバスチャン ミカエリス from Kuroshitsuji (黒執事)

Why he's awesome: He's a sexy demon butler who kills people with silverware. Epic. 


Ulquiorra Schiffer (ウルキオラ・シファー) from Bleach(ブリーチ)

Why he's awesome: Not gonna lie, out of all of the characters, Ulquiorra is by far my favorite. He's so callous, I love him! He is sort of the inspiration of the half-elf assassin in my novel (hopefully I'll be able to introduce you to him later this week). What's also cool is that his rank is number four. In Japanese, the number four is kind of like the number thirteen. It's kind of seen as unlucky. It has two pronunciations. One is yon. The other is shi, which also means "death."

He's so sexy!
If you're interested, here is a YouTube fan video of Ulquiorra and Ichigo's last battle, which is truly epic:


Any fellow anime geeks out there? Do you have a favorite character?

16 comments:

  1. "So The Last Airbender is an American cartoon rather than a Japanese anime. But it happens to be my most favoritest show ever, so I decided to include it."


    Well, nice to know you're being impartial...though I'd probably end up doing the same thing. Actually, I HAVE done the same thing with video games, so I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite. But I'm the best kind of hypocrite -- I'm one with a baggy old hoodie.


    Aaaaaaaaanyway, have you ever tried reading Bakuman? It's by the same guys who did Death Note, so that's an automatic plus in my book. And it's pretty fantastic (if absurdly meta-conceptual). But I'd personally recommend it because I consider co-star Akito Takagi to be my favorite anime character. He's just the right mix of crazy, smart, and bold to put a smile on my face every time...and it certainly helps that if not for him, there would be no story.


    But that aside, I approve this list. Death the Kid makes everything better -- and more symmetrical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I included Avatar because its style is similar to anime. Though its definitely better drawn than a lot of anime I've seen. ;)

    I have not read Bakuman. I actually don't read manga. Unless it's in Japanese and then I try to translate it. Anyway, if they've made it into an anime, I'll definitely look into it. The guys who did Death Note did an awesome job, so I'll be excited to watch it.


    Yay! Glad to have your approval. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My absolute Favorite EVER has to be ( Minato 4th Hokage in Naruto). He's so awesome and badass. Not to mention wicked powerful.
    But Van Fanel (Escaflowne) has to be a 2nd close place. He grows so much during the series, and is so dedicated and awesome that he's hard not to like.

    Honorable mentions for me are Jirayah (Funny, powerful, cool, Pervert LOL), Ichigo (Bleach), Allen Czar (Escaflowne), and Edward (Full Metal Alchemist).


    I noticed that you have no one from Escaflowne, I don't know if you have ever seen it. But considering that it's relatively unknown I'm going to guess you haven't seen it yet. If you haven't seen it you're missing out, Joey. It's only 26 episodes, but it's awesome. It has great characters, great story, pacing is great, romance (though just a little, not enough to hinder the story), the list just goes on and on. I recommend you watch it, Joey. (There's a new remake of it, but it's not as good. I recommend you watch the 1996 version of it.)


    The first time episode (I admit) Is sorta slow, but after that it just picks up and never slows down.


    Favorite anime shows (Manga): Escaflowne, Naruto, Bleach, Full-Metal Alchemist, Avatar: The Last Airbender (Yes, yes, I know it's American.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. L is indeed a great character, and Death Note is a fantastic manga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, there's a Bakuman anime -- just started its third season, and the manga it's based on is finished, I think. DVDs are out for the anime, if that's up your alley. Again, checking it out is highly recommended...or at the very least, just look at its wiki. The art style and color pages are pretty fantastic.


    That aside, are you ever going to do a list of your favorite female characters? I wouldn't mind seeing that list, you know. Just a little hinty-hint for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is awesome, but it definitely wasn't as good after they got rid of L... I didn't really connect with his replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, the 4th Hokage is pretty freaking awesome. Edward from Full Metal Alchemist almost made the list. I haven't finished watching the anime though, so I didn't include him, but I love how he always flips out every time someone calls him short. Jirayah is a fun character too, though his hair kind of bothers me. haha


    Hmm. I haven't heard of Escaflowne. I'll definitely look into it though. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buying anime? That's silly. Haha. *looks away*


    I was planning on posting the female list next Monday. It's going to be a bit more tricky to compile. The majority of female characters annoy the hell out of me either because they're too slutty, too energetic, or to passive and soft-spoken. But hopefully I'll be able to come up with ten of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, interesting. Well then, I'll be looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~AAAAHHHH L!!!! <3 And I see Sebas-chan!!

    Watched Durarara? It has some wicked awesome characters too =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I haven't watched that yet. I just finished watching Reborn (I'm going to be posting a review of it later this week hopefully), so I need something new to watch. I'll definitely look into Durarara.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oo, you know, I haven't yet seen Code Geass. It's on my watch-list though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. i thik you must watch it..it full of mecha and psycologic drama..with some tragical

    scene

    ReplyDelete
  14. What about goku man? You honestly didn't put goku on the list. Have you seen the level of that guy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yet to see Dragonball Z. It's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet. This is also an old list. I have a few other characters I'd like to add to it now. ^,^ I should update it.

    ReplyDelete