Friday, October 5, 2012

Still Alive. For Now.

Wow, this is my first post since the 21st of September. I know I said if I stopped posting things, it was because I jumped into the Mississippi, threw myself under a bus, or shot myself. Unfortunately, I haven't done any of those things. But it is getting close to midterm...

Anyway, there's really not much of a point in this post except saying what I've been up to and how much I hate life. And why do I hate life, you ask? 

Because I haven't had the time to write!

I'm either studying Japanese (a.k.a watching anime) or reading pointless articles for my other classes. Seriously, I don't feel like I'm learning anything that's going to help me in my career choice. What does colonial India have to do with interpreting/translating Japanese, I ask you? However, I'm trying to incorporate the things I learn from my classes into my writing. What elements can I include into my stories? The history classes are usually the best for this. The class I am taking on ancient Rome is especially helpful for battle tactics, government, etc.

So instead of paying attention in class, I've been thinking about my story. I'm trying to add more and more layers, making everything connect in some way. I like to include random scenes into my novel because I find them amusing, but I've realized every scene has to have a specific purpose and has to carry the plot on otherwise the reader doesn't feel like the story is moving forward. Definitely have to work on that. 

I'm currently writing my second book and I have to say it's a billion times more fun than the first. The content is more interesting. It helps that half of it is urban fantasy, which is easier to write in my opinion. I've introduced a few new characters who I absolutely love. However, the draft is pretty sparse. At 44,000 words, I should be at the halfway point. But actually I am probably 2/3 the way done with the book. I have so much stuff I have to add in the second draft, which I cannot wait to write. Once I finish the second draft, I get to move on to writing the third book! I've heard that you should never write the second book unless you get the first one published. But, because mine is a trilogy that is so closely related (it's more like just one book broken up into three parts) I need to make sure everything fits. I'm not one of those authors like George Martin or J.K Rowling who can just think far ahead and know everything that's going to happen. I mean, I have the general gist of what I'm going to do, it's just all the details I want to make sure work. 

I suppose me being busy failing school has its perks. I'm finally getting some distance from the first story. I'm able to cut a lot of stuff that's unnecessary. It helps that I'm now revising for my boyfriend to read. He's a harsh critic, so I'm trying really hard to make the story my best.

How's everyone else's writing going by the way?

Next week I hope to get back on track with my posts. I haven't even been able to read anyone else's blogs and for that I am sorry. I haven't been able to read much of anything, really. Except stupid literary pieces.  

Sooo how's life? 

16 comments:

  1. Yup. Feel your pain; that silver lining of distancing yourself from the manuscript gets harder to appreciate when you'd rather be writing than doing all the junk you're currently stuck with. On a positive note, just started reading Rick Riordan's latest Heroes of Olympus book, Mark of Athena. Absolutely love it. Always a good sign when I don't slip into critique mode when I'm trying to read for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does. It's getting to the point where I've skipped a few classes just so I could go home and write. It's like an addiction!

    I have yet to start his new series. I've only read the Percy Jackson books, and I really enjoyed them. I'm currently stuck reading George Martin's A Storm of Swords. It's a great book, but it's taking for freaking ever to read. And I like that I'm not in critique mode either. Sometimes I'll read a book and try to enjoy it, but all I can think of is how the author should have or shouldn't have done such and such. Martin's writing flows so well, I get lost in the books. Except when it comes to all the characters. There are so many, it hurts my brain trying to figure out who's who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roman history is fun, but during my full-time college quarters I find it really hard to find time to write. I know your pain.


    I'm also working on my second novel (Sequel to Element Wielder), though I'm barely about 15,000 words into it. However, yesterday I got a really (and I mean really) blunt critique by a published author in CC, and It got me asking myself. What the heck am I doing writing a second novel if my 1st one still needs so much work (Darn you Show don't tell). So I'm going to stop writing my second novel and get down to some heavy revising on my 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will rarely read a book like "A Storm of Swords." All those grand books are so darn hard to follow. I tried reading DUNE because it's supposed to be a classic. Well I could only get to page 100 before I completely gave up. It was so weird and hard to follow. I'm sure it's great, but I guess it's not for me. Most of the time I stick with Y/A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard that Dune is a tough book to get into. Perhaps it's just not as engaging? A few years ago, I would never have picked up "A Storm of Swords" mainly because of it's sexual content. But now that I'm older, it doesn't bother me as much. Most of the books I've read are YA, but I'm starting to branch out more into adult. I still write entirely for a YA audience though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love getting critiques like that? Haha. I have love-hate relationships with them. Love it because I need the feedback no matter how harsh it is. Hate because it makes me die a little inside.


    I'm both revising my first book and writing the second at the same time. For me, I need to write the second book just so I can figure out what information and scenes I need to include in the first book. It's killing me though because I want to get the first one polished enough so I can start sending it out to agents!


    I sometimes feel that people get too hung up on the whole "show don't tell" rule. They point out every little time you tell something instead of showing it. Once in awhile, I think it's okay for you to tell.

    I hope to find time to get to your story this week on CC. I'm ashamed to say I've been slacking on my critiques lately, preferring to either read or write. But I'm looking forward to reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sorta aware that I was info-dumping a bit, I even mentioned on my Authors note's. So I guess is good that at least I had an idea that I was info-dumping and was't completely oblivious to it. But this guy took my writing and "river danced "all over it. LOL. It's all good though.I don't mind getting blunt critiques.

    Yeah, another author told me to show when the scenes are dramatic/important and only tell once in a while when I want to move the pacing along in "slower scenes" But it hard to tell sometimes.
    Like I I want to start sending out my book out sooooo bad to agents, but one step at a time I suppose. P.S Writing the query letter scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "river danced" haha. I don't mind it when they're harsh, but when they get a bit of an attitude in their critiques and come off like they think they're so much better than me, it drives me nuts. It's like, thank you for your time and effort, but you don't have to be a jerk about it.


    I have a bit of trouble info-dumping too. It's so much easier to just give paragraphs of info instead of working it into the narrative bit by bit.


    The idea of writing the query letter makes me shudder. It's gonna kill me when it comes time to write it. But luckily there are a lot of experienced people on CC who can give us advice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heroes of Olympus is even better. I think I might even rank it up there with the Harry Potter series, which I never expected. The characters are terrific. He has a lot of characters but each one is well developed and pretty easy to remember...has to be if I can follow it :).


    I've watched a bit of the HBO series Game of Thrones, but I don't think I have the attention span to tackle to books and learn all the different story lines ;(.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I actually checked other critiques that he's given and he didn't seem as bad, but with me he went nuts. Maybe he was having a bad day. He gave some great advice, but there some comments that didn't help me in the least. It was just like he was making fun of my writing. I was thinking to myself ,"why would he write this without any constructive input?" " If you're going to spoof my writing at least explain why you're doing it and what I'm doing wrong?"


    I don't mind blunt critiques as long as I learn from them, and the person giving the critique explains himself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the worst when they don't explain themselves. I once had a woman stop reading halfway through my story because she was so bored. I realize that it started out slow now, but it was irritating and a little hurtful that she just gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Almost as good as Harry Potter? Those are bold word, madam. lol. It's on my to-read list.


    I'm trying to read all of the Game of Thrones books close together so that I don't forget a lot of stuff. I'm about to chuck the third book across the room though. Two of my favorite characters just up and got killed. No body is safe! D:

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL. I know. Never thought I'd say it, but the series is amazing. I enjoyed Percy Jackson, but nearly as much. I'm trying not to read it too fast. I want to take time and enjoy it :).

    Yeah, I heard that about Martin. Brutal. Probably why I'm not ready to invest the time in the stories. Hate it when they kill of my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, okay. You've convinced me. I'll read the Lost Hero next. BTW, have you read the other series Riordan wrote? The one with the Egyptian mythology? I haven't yet, but I was just curious if you had.

    You hate it when they kill off a favorite character, hmm? So who's your favorite character of my story again? :D Muahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Kane Chronicles? Read all but the last one to hold me over while waiting for the Mark of Athena. They were good, but The Heroes of Olympus books...they're GREAT! Huh, where'd Tony the Tiger come from?--Feels like you're on a quest with your best buds.


    Hmmm. That's tough. Of the three main characters, I'd have to say Jordan. She's hilarious and easy to connect with...could be the tomboy thing. Of the secondary characters, Roland. He's complex and almost endearing in an evil sort of way...oh wait, I wasn't paying attention to the last part. I change my answer to ummmm, Elizabeth. Love her. She gives me warm fuzzies :D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you love Elizabeth! She's my favorite too. >:) But seriously, I have to agree with you on Roland. Definitely one of my favorite's if not the favorite. He's my ideal villain/hero. Helps that I made him, you know, gorgeous. lol

    ReplyDelete