Wednesday, October 31, 2012

[Review?] The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy > Mythology
Published: 10/12/2010
Pages: 557, Hardcover
Rating: ★★★★★

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?


Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.


So this isn't really a review. More of a recommendation. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the novel. It is 557 pages of heck yeah! I honestly couldn't put it down. I would almost go so far as to say this novel was better than Riordan's Percy Jackson series. But then I feel like I'm betraying Percy. Unfortunately, I had the darnedest time remembering what actually happened in the previous series. I wish I would have read this immediately after The Last Olympian. 

I think the characters this time around have a bit more depth and the plot is pretty interesting too, with the gods having both Roman and Greek aspects. Being huge on mythology, I thought Riordan did a great job incorporating the two. I also burst out laughing quite a few times, which is sort of unusual as I rarely laugh out loud when I read. Riordan has a fun sense of humor.

Seriously can't wait to read the second novel Son of Neptune!

Have you read it?

4 comments:

  1. :) See? What's I tell you? The rest of the series is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAAAAAA!!! Could it be that I'm wrong in thinking that Rick Riordan's book's are not that good! I might actually give this a try because of your recommendation, Joey.


    You mentioned that you can't remember what happened in the last series. Why is that relevant? Does the new series continue on from the Percy Jackson series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never doubted you, lol. Though I can't put it up there with Harry Potter like you said, just because Rowling's story has a special place in my heart and few books will ever equate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doooo it!


    The new series picks up about half a year, I think, after The Last Olympian. Though it's not directly tied to it, there are a lot of references of what happened previously and a lot of the same characters make an appearance, so I would recommend reading the Percy Jackson series first and then reading this series.

    ReplyDelete