Wednesday, September 19, 2012

[Review]- Become (Desolation #1) - Ali Cross

Author: Ali Cross
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Published: 11/11/2011
Pages: eBook, 340
Rating: ★★3/4 (I was so close to liking it)

Sixteen-year old Desolation Black wants nothing more than to stay in Hell where it’s cold and lonely and totally predictable. Instead, she’s sent back to Earth where she must face the evil she despises and the good she always feared.

When Desi is forced to embrace her inner demon, she assumes her choice has been made—that she has no hope of being anything other than what her father, Lucifer, has created her to be. What she doesn’t count on, is finding a reason to change—something she’s never had before—a friend.

What I Liked: 


The story blends together Norse and Biblical mythology. I'm a huge fan of Norse mythology so I was pleasantly surprised when my favorite Norse god, Loki, showed up as Satan. And, of course, Odin was God and Thor was, uh, Jesus, I believe. Though I wonder if Baldur would have been a better choice. Anyhow, it was an interesting twist and I quite liked it.

The depiction of Hell makes it sound like a fun place to me. Dark, cold, what's not to like? Unfortunately, however, Lucifer takes on the form of Hugh Jackman, but ah well. It would probably be wrong if I was actually attracted to the devil.

I like that the main character, Desolation, is part demon and part angel, that one half of her is black, the other golden, and that she has to choose between good and evil (though I don't really think she has much of an evil side).

Despite the fact that it was a chore to actually get to the end, it left me wanting more, and I might have to try reading the second book just to see what happens. Even though I only gave the book 2 and 3/4 stars. I need to know what happens next, even with sucky books. Otherwise, I will always wonder.

What I Didn't Like: 


I'm afraid there are more things to this story that I disliked than liked. First off, the main character didn't jive with me. Desolation, nicknamed Desi, over analyzes her emotions. There are paragraphs upon paragraphs of her contemplation and self-analyzing. There's just not enough action to hold my attention throughout the story. Until the end, that is. The story is mostly Desi going back and forth from feeling like she doesn't belong to feeling she is loved. She's pretty self-loathing, self-pitying. She's just too much of an emo for my tastes.


I also didn't feel like her character was consistent. She considers herself evil, yet we are never shown an instance of this. I actually wanted her to be presented as more evil, in a more gray area. She is Satan's daughter, after all. Though she is a badass fighter, she doesn't quite have a strong personality. Also, her thoughts regarding Hell confuses me. She seems to loathe everything about it, yet she wants to be there because of its endless routine and security.

Another issue I had when reading was that I felt like I was reading the second book of the series. It seemed like I was missing a lot of the story. I found myself checking a few times to make sure I was actually reading the first book in the series, not the second. As the story progresses, we are given snippets of back story that, to me, didn't really make sense. They were explained later, of course, but their introduction felt random and out of place. Sometimes, the story was a bit incoherent.

Her
sentence
structure
sometimes
gets
annoying.
The author likes to break up her sentences, giving them their own line. I do this as well in my writing. It adds more of a punch to what's being said. But I think Cross got a little to happy with the "enter" button.

The birthing scene at the beginning nearly made me stop reading. I hate, hate, hate birthing scenes. They're gross and unappealing. Also, the lovey dovey scenes were a bit too mushy. But then again, every lovey dovey scene is mushy in my opinion. Bleh.

My biggest issue with the story is how the author comes off as preachy. Greed and gluttony = sin. Sex without love = sin. Sex with multiple men = sin. Drugs, alcohol, suicidal tendencies = sin. It seemed like too many of the author's views were seeping into the story and she was none too subtle about it.

I hate having to write such a negative review for this story, but I'm not going to lie and say I loved it. Honestly, I really wanted to like it. It has all the elements of being a great novel. The writing style is great, flows well, the secondary characters are awesome, the theme is interesting...who doesn't love Norse gods? The story's biggest downfall: the main character just didn't click with me. Desolation lived up to her name too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment