Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review Wednesday - Anna Dressed in Blood

Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Teen Paranormal Romance/Horror
Published: 8/30/2011
Pages: 320
Rating: ★★★★

Ghosts aren't just harmless phantoms who spook people. They kill. Viciously. Armed with the athame he inherited after his father's gruesome death, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood travels the country dispelling violent, killer ghosts. For the past few years, it's been a familiar routine for him, his witch mother, and their spirit-sniffing cat. Until he goes after Anna Dressed in Blood, a girl who was violently murdered sixty years ago. She haunts her house, ripping apart everyone who enters. Except Cas.

Anna isn't like any ghost Cas has ever met. She not only is clever, but also has tremendous power. Cas quickly learns he's in way over his head. Especially when he begins to have feelings for her.

***

First off, I didn't care for the color of the text. It was a dark shade of red. At twenty-two, I have old people eyes. I need black ink on white paper. I almost didn't buy the book because of it. And at one point, I almost threw the book down when Harry Potter was referred to as a wimpy boy wizard. *not amused face*

Other than that, it was a gruesome story and I loved it. One of the first books I've read in a while that's really held my attention. I loved the main character, Cas. He has a dry sense of humor and a brooding personality. He's seen so much stuff, so many dead people, that there's a fearlessness about him. When normal people freak out, he's calm and collect. Except when it comes to the ghost who killed his father. Then we see his fear. But it's not enough to stop him from seeking revenge.

I'm not a good judge at what makes a great horror story. I haven't read enough/seen enough horror movies to be an expert. I thought this book was pretty scary in parts, but I get scared super easily. Like I said, not a great judge.

Though it's labeled paranormal romance, I wouldn't necessarily consider it chick-lit. It's written from a guy's perspective and has plenty of action and gore in it. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of romance. Makes me wanna vomit. But this story's romantic elements aren't obnoxious. There's a great balance.

I believe there is going to be a sequel. Definitely looking forward to reading it!

Have you read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment