Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review - The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The Prince of Mist is about thirteen-year-old Max and his family who move from their home in the city to a beach house near a small town. No one except the father is happy about the move. Especially when they find out the previous owners' son drowned in the sea nearby. After a few strange and scary occurrences, they learn the house is haunted by a diabolic villain--the Prince of Mist. He's a wicked magician who has come back to collect on a debt from the past. Max, his sister Alicia, and their new friend Roland must solve the mystery surrounding the boy's death if they hope to stop the Prince of Mist.

The writing style has an old-school vibe to it, which works perfectly because it is set during World War II. Though, at times, it felt like the story was intended for a younger audience, such as middle grade. For the most part, the book has a limited point of view, but there are times when the author slips into the other characters' heads, so I guess you'd classify it as omniscient.

The descriptions were amazing. I could picture everything quite vividly. But, unless I missed it, there was never really a clear description of Max and Alicia, which bothered me. I like to know exactly what the characters look like. Also, I don't think the author ever says exactly where the story takes place. I know it's in Europe, but I wanted to know what country they were in. I assumed Spain, since that's where the author is from, but it didn't really feel like Spain. More like it was based in England. The story was originally published in Spanish. It's interesting to read stories from other languages, but I oftentimes am under the impression that quite a bit is lost in translation.

It is a horror story, so it is very chilling at times. I only read stories like this during the day when people are around. I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to horror, even with it being as tame as this book. But if you are looking for a quick read, I would recommend this. I read the majority of it in only a few hours.

As I was reading it, I was planning on giving it four stars because I really liked it. Until I got to the end. Freaking pissed me off. I don't want to give anything away, but I was severely disappointed. So I have to demote it to a 3.5.

Have you read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment