Thursday, May 24, 2012

First Post O(≧▽≦)O

What I'm Reading -- Road of the Patriarch by R.A. Salvatore 
What I'm Listening To -- My little brother munching on Cheerios (O.o) and the British comedy Good Neighbors (The one where Tom throws out his back). 

I've finally freaking finished (yay alliteration) the first draft of the story I've been working on since I was fourteen (about eight years now). It's a third person, multi-POV, past tense, YA fantasy novel. I've been working on the story off and on over the years, but it never seemed to get anywhere. I constantly rewrote what I already had. Thanks to critiquecircle.com I was able to finish my work. I forced myself to submit a chapter a week for review and, finally, 38 chapters plus a prologue and an epilogue later, I was finished. Thanks to all the helpful feedback I received, I've become, at least I hope, a better writer, though my grammar is still a bit iffy. But that's for my editor to worry about, right? (^▽^) I would strongly recommend the site to anyone who wants feedback on their writing but is too embarrassed to show anyone their work in person (like me). 

My description of the novel is a work-in-progress because, my God, it's freaking hard condensing a novel into only one interesting paragraph. Right now it's titled The Kingdom's Champion. I can't say I'm very good at titling things. :B Anyway, here it is: 

Kevin Foley, a bad-tempered teen from Minnesota, and his two friends Jordan, his feisty tomboy crush, and Mark, a gamer/fantasy geek, end up one day sinking to the bottom of the Mississippi in Kevin's car. After waking up in a forest and being captured by centaurs, the three learn they're no longer in Minnesota, no longer on earth. They're in the country of Garthna--a place where magic and mythical creatures are part of people's everyday lives. It is also a place threatened by war. To the east, the Kingdom of Rorek stirs, unhappy with its prosperous neighbor. In order for his friends and him to return home, Kevin must fulfill a prophecy and become Garthna's Champion, its reluctant hero. 

Right now I'm in the revising stage. I'm going to do one more draft of it before I leave it alone for a few weeks to get some distance. Then it's another round of revision and it'll be ready for submission. Or, at least, as close to ready as I can get it. 

Well this is my first post. I hopefully will get the hang of this blogging thing eventually. I'm not used to writing nonfiction unless it's a ten page research paper. I'd like to write on here regularly with excerpts of my story and perhaps drawings/paintings based on it (if my boyfriend will stop being a jerkface and make them for me!). Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Getting the first draft finished is a huge achievement. I should know.

    I might have reviewed a chapter of your story at one time or another on Critique Circle, but I don't remember. My memory is a little foggy.

    Nonetheless, I'll be your first follower, if you don't have one already. Build blogging momentum, plan your time well, put some passion into it, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, my first follower! I can't promise much with this blog (since I haven't a clue what I'm doing), but I'm going to try my best to make it engaging.

    I hope to see some of your work on Critique Circle! I'll be sure to crit.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete